Lars Gullik Bj?nnes wrote:
> >> If there are interest I'll try to setup a git tree that you can clone and
> >> set
> >> up as a git-svn tree.  (I'll even write up a wiki page to explain briefly
> >> how
> >> to do that.)
> >
> | this is already done on git.or.cz, though not under our control (yet:)
> | skeleton of the wiki page is already done too.
>
> That looked just like a mirror, and the wiki seemed to lack info on how
> to turn that into a git-svn clone?

i belive this is possible, but i must admit i was never interested more to
investigate :)

> | something more is imho needed only in case we want officially switch to git
> | repo (do we?).
>
> I do not agree completely. If we are going to switch (and personally I
> think we should), you/we need to get more feel for how to use git.
> And even if some lyx devvies already use git, I think all (or close to)
> should try it out. And I think when we try it out we should try to get
> the best possible experience out of it.

this is a question of a poll. if most of the people are ok with svn theres no
substatintial merit in changing to git. git-svn provides quite sufficient
interface.

> (And imo that means an officialy set up git repo that is created for
> this purpose in the way we imagine it would be done if we really made
> the switch (proper svn.authorsfile f.ex.))
>
> | personally i'm in favour of our own box like aussie in the past
> | compared to sf solutions etc. although there is the problem that we do not
> have
> | any admin wanting to manage it there are many advantages of such dedicated
> | machine.
>
> I'd like you to name some...

for example i like to have personal web pages so i can run things like doxygen
generated docs for lyx, i like other people pages like Jose's archeology page,
i like all the stuff Christian is providing with wiki which i doubt would be
possible under sf, i like the way we run svn commit annoucements, also @lyx.org
mail address, sharing disk space with other devs when we want exchange something
and generally the overall control of all the services on one place.

> I only know of a few and as of current they
> seem to be of very little importance. I belive the benefit of not having
> to handle the daily (or yearly) churn of chores is a really good thing.

last year i spent quite lot of time to pinpoint some reasonable mem
configuration for aussie demons so we are not locked by swapping again and
again - still it was worth it. thats why i support Richard's proposal.

pavel