On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Bo Peng wrote:

Perfect. So this mean that we abandon sourceforge completely, right?

So far, the plan looks good.

Right, after all the debates, Lars dictates.

Hi Bo,

I think your initiative with SF was great and your work showed that the web site is portable, which is quite a bit of relief to me. So with the work you did, I now feel quite safe that we can move the web site to mostly anwhere. The wiki will be a different issue though :-(

Personally I prefer virtual servers, but maybe I´m a bit of a control freak... even so, I thought there was a weak consensus for a VM and many developers just wanting _any_ solution. One advantage with a VM is freedom to run most anything we like, e.g. in terms of version control systems. One disadvantage I see with a VM compared to a hosting solution is e.g. that we have to solve backups and do our own administration.

OTOH, with SF we´d still have to do some kind of backups due to the issue with the directory persistence/, but we wouldn´nt have to do upgrades. So there are pros and cons with both solutions as I see it, but more importantly going going with a VM now doesn´t preclude using SF later on.

Lars´, could you comment on backups of the VM?

As an aside, it´d be excellent if the VM was running a system that automatically switches the VM to different hardware if the old hardware fails. That´s probably hoping for a lot, but such system exist and will probably be more and more common. I´ve even heard of (coming?) systems that can do switchover of VMs while retaining real-time characteristics.

sincere regards,
Christian

PS. As a general sidenote, I looked at some hosting solutions but I didn´t find any that sounded really good. Having said that SF is definitely not bad, but they do have for instance the security issuses.

--
Christian Ridderström                           Mobile: +46-70 687 39 44