On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 08:28:22AM +0100, Lars Gullik Bj&resh;nnes wrote:

> | 2) Another solution for 1) could be changing the
> |    language file, that comes with LyX. The first
> |    and second column in this file are ALWAYS the
> |    same. Why is that? We could use the second column
> |    for an equivalent language name, for example:
>
> Did you check the meanings of the fields?

The second field is the babel name of the language, and it is not always
equal to the first field (the LyX name).

> I'd rather remove one of the fields instead of adding more.
> (but then we would need a "babel" module.

Why not add new fields to the languages file (ispell name, keymap name) ?
The only drawback is decreasing the readability of this file.
A solution for that is to use the following idea: for most languages (e.g.
english) the babel/ispell name is equal to the LyX name, so in this case, we
do not need to repeat it:

#LyX name  Screen name        RTL   encoding   code  babel    ispell
canadien   "French Canadian" false  iso8859-1  fr_CA frenchb  french
english    "English"         false  iso8859-1  en *

(the * marks the end of the enlish fields).