"Lars Gullik Bjřnnes" wrote:
> I don't agree. Imagine we support dozens of differenct spellcheckers
> corba/web webster/ispell/aspell/xspell whatever... and all om the uses

IF
    LyX lets you choose from a *fixed* list of Document languages:
               Document Layout->Language->Language

AND
    LyX also decides to let you choose from a *fixed* list of spell checkers:
               Preferences->Spell checker->Spell command

THEN
     this should match, flawlessly!

Your point (we cannot support all spell checkers in the world) holds if
one could enter in Preferences any spell checker command in Preferences
manually. Then LyX can't know what spell checker may be used. But that's
not the case, the spell checker list is a *predefined* list (ispell, aspell);
by doing so, LyX should then also make these spell checkers work, for all
the languages that are in the language list.

As soon as you add "xspell" to the spell checker list, you should somewhere
in a LyX system-file match the language-names for xspell.
If every spell checker in the list has its own language-name-rules, its just
a little effort for LyX to know about that, isn't it?

Regards,
Rob.

PS: keep in mind that a regular user is not a system administrator or
package manager. A regular users may simply give up, if something's
not working. Don't ask him/her to make symlinks or something like that!