"Uwe Stöhr" <uwesto...@web.de> wrote in message news:4dc9f3f7.90...@web.de...
OK, there was indeed a problem with my MiKTeX installation residues in the registry. now the installation runs through as expected, but there are thing we should improve:

a. When LyX is installed together with MiKTeX we need to set an installation location and hide MiKTeX's window that asks for every LaTeX-package. New users don't understand what a LaTeX-package is - they will learn it in the LyX tutorial but thus after the installation. I therefore set in my installer MiKTeX without showing the asking windows and just start installing the packages. (Once the MiKTeX developer especially built in the feature for LyX.)

That's fine. I think this should only be set when MiKTeX is installed together with LyX.

b. the installer has a button "Details", but this button should be pressed by default when MiKTeX is installed together with LyX. This only affects new users and they might not expect that the installation process can take many minutes. I therefore also state this in my installer because I once got several complaints.

There's also the message above the progress bar indicating the MiKTeX configuration takes a while. Do you think it's necessary to show all the technical details of configure.py which the user probably won't understand?

Joost