On 06/08/2011 1:06 PM, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
Il 31/07/2011 22:18, Tommaso Cucinotta ha scritto:

If you agree, a nice trade-off could be for LyX:
1) to be shipped without any binary blob;
2) to allow users for placing empty sample files in their
$HOME/.lyx/samples folder, then being automatically recognized by this
feature and being proposed as empty templates for new material
(feature to be documented in the manual and its existence properly
advertised in the tooltip of the "Edit/Create" button).
3) [optional]: to provide a separate package file "lyx-samples",
shipping a bunch of empty files, that a user might try to optionally
install.

So, in the end, is there any chance to get this patch in ? I think that
most users will at least appreciate the "Edit" button in the image&
ext material dialogs (as witnessed by the corresponding bug in Trac).
Plus, only if they install empty samples in their .lyx folder then
they take advantage of the auto-file-creation feature.

In the case, what further changes/improvements would be needed, and when
would be a good time to commit ?

On a related note, what's the current development/releasing status of
(the upcoming versions of) LyX ?

Thx,

T.

Personally, I would say that the "create new" feature is worthwhile, but the sample template files should go to the wiki, so that it is not in our hands to maintain and not bloating.

The other feature, automatic detection, seems to have problems though.

--
Julien