Am 15.10.2011 19:31, schrieb Enrico Forestieri:

As I understand the explanation TEXINPUTS is an _environment
variable_ consisting of a list of paths. So why is it then also a
_prefix_?

Because TEXINPUTS may already be set in the environment,

I must admit that I then did not yet understand the concept of TEXINPUTS.
For example PATH is an environment variable and I therefore find it in Windows' environment variable list. LyX's PATH prefix is a prefix to this variable. But there is no environment variable named TEXINPUTS in Windows. Googling around gives me that it is a variable of LaTeX and can be set as Windows variable which is then used by LaTeX. But even if I add something to TEXINPUTS in the LyX preferences, I don't get a Windows environment variable. So where does LyX stores it so that LaTeX can access it?

Shouldn't the name of the entry in the preferences be
changed from "prefix" to "variable" or "directories"?

No.

OK. But what about my other proposal?

thanks and regards
Uwe