On 03/13/2012 09:05 PM, Julien Rioux wrote:

I want it simple, and I want it centralized. It's nice to allow private new repos to developers, thank you for that, but it seems overkill to require their use. I honestly cannot be bothered at the moment to setup remote repositories to fetch someone else's latest feature branch, let alone setup my own copy of the repo on the server. I'm looking for a central place to have access and contribute to the latest LyX development. (I'm also looking for a tool that is stupid easy to use.) I hope that if it's not lyx.git, then please let lyx-staging.git be this central place. Then it would be the main LyX repo in my mind.

Anyway, that's just me. I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

I don't see any need to *require* people to use private repos. For feature development, etc, one can continue to work locally, in private branches, in what is otherwise a clone of the main LyX repository. If one does want to work that way, then the only difference will be that pushes to the stable branch should be less frequent than they have been: Only when the feature is essentially done should any of it be pushed. Comments on code would go through the list only.

That said, this is less difficult than it seems. There's a bit of a learning curve here, to be sure, and I'm working pretty hard right now to understand it all. But once I have it figured out, I think I will be able to write instructions for setting up an appropriate development environment that are easy to follow and easy to use.

In this case, I don't think it's necessary to have extra repositories to fetch other people's feature branches and the like. I suppose one could do so, but my sense is that commentary, etc, on these branches will mostly happen through the online browser, rather than through checkout, or through people posting patch sets to the list, like before.

That said,

Richard