Kornel Benko wrote:
> > As a restriction to the file. The user sets this variable to the
> > languages he is interested in general.
>
> I don't understand. Say, I am interested in a lang xy, which is not listed in
> LINGUAS (because e.g. there are not enough translated strings).
>
> I set
>       export LINGUAS=xy
>
> This would mean, lyx will be compiled without any gui-language support?

We have discussed relevant issue in recent exchange about ed1515ef69 with JMarc.
I think it is the _installation_, not compilation, issue.

That is
LINGUAS="fr de" make install
should install only fr & de translations.

> It should be at least a replacement IMHO.

I believe this is not question of opinions but it should be standardized
somewhere (don't beat me, I haven't searched for it;)

Pavel