Stephan Witt wrote:
> >> Yes. All LyX packages I've seen on Mac are built with version suffix.
> >> Starting with 1.6 for all 1.6.X versions. I simply did not change that.
> >> Now on Mac the build is done with 2.0.
> >
> > So it's at the end OS specific :)
>
> No. It's a matter of using --with-version-suffix or not.

I mean, it is OS specific _how_ you use --with-version-suffix.
If you use it by default then one can expect some automatic magic.
If you need to do it manually then you will be surprised why automagic happens.

> on linux? IMHO, if you want users to test 2.1.0 beta1 you should
> care for painlessly parallel use of stable LyX 2.0. Isn't there

Can you list me linux distributions which allow painless use of parallel
lyx versions? (I mean without need to compile anything.)
If you need to compile it then care about your .lyx settings is piece
of cake.

> > BTW do you avoid cache?
>
> What cache?

No, I mean megabytes of garbage in ~/.lyx/cache.
Pavel