Am 04.02.2014 16:23, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:

And, don't forget that I added cbgreek as convenience for Windows users so
it should be possible to remove it because of problems wit Windows.

Why don't you bundle the needed packages with the installer then ?

You know that this impossible. The packages change so often, it would be a nightmare to keep the up to date all the time. Moreover what about packaging bugs (for example sometimes files are missing from MiKTeX-packages due to mistakes of the package).

 It is so
frustrating to wait so long, just because some exotic user might want to
use some exotic feature.

Exactly. This is why I would remove the package from the search list. I just did this now as I added this and it is not necessary to have it in our chkconfig.

And even worse is that you override the setting
that I disabled this on-the-fly installing of MikTeX packages.

Vincent, we had this discussion so often and I explained a dozen times why this is necessary. You are an extremely experienced user and you can quickly reset the setting if it is really that painful for you. (I never understood why you turned this option off - it is MiKTeX's default setting.) Once again: a new user expects to get a fully functional program and bothering a new user with about 60 command prompts if he wants to install a package is no option. A new user cannot know what a package is what it is for, if it is good to install or not and nobody takes the time click 60 times on Yes or NO. Also an average LyX user will not know what to do if a command prompt pops up. We live in a world of touchscreen and apps and for example my colleague at work didn't even know that Windows has a console nor what a console is and they have a Ph.D. as well.

regards Uwe