On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 09:44:04PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 06/05/14 17:52, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
> >Well, all other wordprocessor-like applications also have a boldify button
> >and many other things LyX is currently lacking ;)
>
> To say things differently, I searched without success for an
> application that uses a specific text color for selection _and_ is
> able to handle ligatures/kerning properly. Just try the str-metrics
> branch and play with selection and you will understand what the
> problem is.

Sorry, I don't know how to do that. After launching "git gui" I select
Branch->Checkout but I cannot find any str-metrics branch there.
I initially tried to learn git but then gave up. I am more proficient
with applying and removing patches than messing with git branches.
Every time I tried the "git way" I found myself spending time in
solving problems that I would not have had.

> >I like very much the way LyX shows a selection in contrast to any other
> >similar application, but if this is going to cause problems (I don't
> >know what you mean by "all selection lose color" but, if it is what I
> >think, it actually is what I experience when I try 'Use system colors')
> >I am not going to insist... so much ;)
>
> When one selects in LyX; no matter whether there is changed text,
> maths, or whatever, suddenly all the text changes to black (or
> white). I find that this is a loss of information.

But the text is already black, right? ;)

> Actually I think I have found a way to keep our ugly selection
> colors and avoid dancing text. But it will require some time to
> experiment. I will maybe propose an alternative solution where
> selection text is the same as the normal text color.

Seriously, I don't want to waste your time if that is so difficult,
but you would have all my appreciation if you succeed ;)

--
Enrico