Jean-Marc Lasgouttes schreef op 7-5-2014 10:07:
07/05/2014 00:37, Vincent van Ravesteijn:
 > What is the difference between a ligature and a contextual form?

According to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet#Ligatures,
there is only one compulsory ligature (having two forms, see later), and
that's the one I showed in a previous mail.

The contextual forms means that in general, each character has four
different presentation forms. These are the unicode points in the
arabic_table in src/Encoding.cpp. The unicode points are located in the
"Arabic Presentation Forms-B" unicode table.

Thanks, I understand now.

(i hope you can see the figures)

Nope. It is strange because in your previous message I had nice pictures. But I this is the information from the wikipedia page, I read it now.

Yes, I finished and sent the mail on mobile GMail, and I started worrying about the figures.

:) Actually, my plan is to find an API somewhere that does the work for me. I want some library that tells me what to do, without having to care about the language I am using. Do you think this is too much to ask?

I thought you wanted this: "I want to have some feeling of how this works. " Now, you tell me you want to remain dumb ;).

No, Qt provides you with all the tools. However, we should use the library correctly.

Is there a widget in Qt that is able to edit arabic text, for example? If I find one, I will look up the sources and try to understand what they do.

All Qt Widgets where you can enter text can edit arabic. The magic is behind QPainter::drawText.

JMarc

Vincent