Am 20.10.2015 um 04:46 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:

I use the same code in other manuals too. E.g. in the Math manual.

I object to those also :)
But since you are doing the work on the manuals, I think your opinion
should count for more.

No, every opinion counts the same.

Concerning the code, I cannot use it in the UserGuide and the EmbeddedObjects manual for technical reasons. So I can omit it in the example file if you prefer that.

For the math manual I would keep it unless somebody has compilation problems because this saves me some work.

It compiles for me as well with pdflatex, XeTeX and LuaTeX with TeX
fonts. It does not compile with system fonts. If you are curious (no
need to do this now though), to see if it compiles for you with system
fonts, check the box "Use non-TeX fonts" and choose some fonts, e.g.
FreeSans.

I tried this but even if I delete the preamble completely, I cannot compile with system fonts (neither XeTeX nor LuaTeX). Also with other fonts like Arial or times it is not compilable. What is your system font? Can you compile the document if your delete its preamble?

Besides this but, the example files and manual are not designed to use special fonts for them. I mean there are forced page breaks to get nice PDF output. If you use another font or font size you will have to re-render the document to place the page breaks nicely.

This is not a big deal, but I think that the benefit of the preamble
code is not that great either so it is just a matter of which little
benefit is more than the other.

It saves some time because I don't need to write all the sime "see sec._" (where _ is a half space) but only "see ". Furthermore one has a larger area to click on in the PDF. personally it annoys me to fiddle around if e.g. the link is behind a single "1" with "sec. 1" you will always hit it immediately.

regards Uwe