Dear Uwe,

thank you for joining in the export test discussion.

On 2015-11-20, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 19.11.2015 um 03:00 schrieb Kornel Benko:

>> commit ee72677fded357755c76e20a6adb256962d50445
> >
>> +# Non-ASCII in ERT
>> +export/doc/fr/Additional_pdf4_texF

> This should now work.

Unfortunately, it does not: after updating to c818fea3af2866b3d4b4/lyxgit
there are still non-ASCII characters in ERT in doc/fr/Additional.lyx, e.g.
the "ê" in line 879:

 Vous pouvez mettre presque tout dedans, même des figures et des tableaux

I also don't find this line in the diff of ddb05f46b4280/lyxgit
"French Additional.lyx: replace non-ASCII char in TEX code"

BTW: Are you sure you export with a fresh compiled LyX?

     For XeTeX with 8-bit TeX fonts, LyX now uses ASCII encoding of the
     source file, ignoring the document's "inputenc" setting.

     Older versions used utf-8-plain, but this leads to "missing characters"
     for any character above the 256 range and to wrong characters for many
     in the 128-256 range.

     The source-view should show the use of ASCII-replacements for non-ASCII
     characters if you select "View XeTeX" AND "View complete source" or
     "View main document".
     (There is still a bug with "View current paragraph".

LuaTeX with TeX fonts works, because here we can use the set
input-encoding with "luainputenc".

>> +# lmodern.sty? + maybe more
>> +export/doc/fr/(Additional_pdf5|Customization_pdf5|EmbeddedObjects_pdf4|UserGuide_pdf5)_systemF

> Additional_pdf5, Customization_pdf5 and UserGuide_pdf5 work for me.
> EmbeddedObjects_pdf4 works here too.

Also, if you change the document to use "non-TeX fonts"? (This is what
the "_systemF" suffix indicates: the test machinery changes the
"useNonTeXFonts" setting to True and exports with Xe/LuaTeX.)

After changing fr/Additional.lyx to use non-TeX-fonts, I get 10 missing
character errors with XeTeX and 5 with LuaTeX:

 Missing character: There is no ― in font
 [lmroman12-regular]:mapping=tex-text!

The reason is, that the preamble has the code:

   % if pdflatex is used
   \usepackage{ifpdf}
   \ifpdf

    % set fonts for nicer pdf view
    \IfFileExists{lmodern.sty}
     {\usepackage{lmodern}}{}

   \fi % end if pdflatex is used

but \ifpdf is also true for XeTeX and LuaTeX with PDF-export.
Therefore, this preamble loads "lmodern.sty" also, if "use TeX fonts" is
selected. The package lmodern.sty then overwrites the font encoding setting
and leads to loading 8-bit TeX fonts while LyX believes it uses Unicode
fonts and uses the "utf8-plain" input encoding.

I proposed several fixes for this some posts ago. My suggestion is to invert
the tests for now and discuss the problem later.

>> +# chemgreek incompatible with LuaTeX (cf. Math.lyx)
>> +# for now inverted
>> +export/doc/sk/Intro_pdf5_systemF
>> +export/examples/PDF-comment_pdf5_texF
>> +export/examples/aas_sample_(dvi3|pdf5)_(texF|systemF)

> sk/Intro_pdf5 works here.

If I change it to use non-TeX fonts (to reproduce the *_systemF test), I get

  ! LaTeX Error: \begin{otherlanguage} on input line 360 ended by
  \end{itemize}.

which for me is an indication of the known "language nesting" problem with
polyglossia.

Günter