Am 20.11.2015 um 01:36 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:

For both TeX fonts and system fonts? For me they only compile with TeX
fonts.

Here too. But why do you insist to compile with non-TeX fonts? I can understand the package author that he predefines a font for the statement text since it depends on the font if characters can be displayed or not. I mean, imagine you are a Bulgarian and thus write in Cyrillic. Since Bulgaria is in the EU you need the EU-wide H-P statements. What will happen if you use a system font designed for Cyrillic that might e.g. miss the long hyphen used in the statement texts?

My point is that we should not try to test for features that are not available with the packages used in the documents. It is in my opinion not a mistake that packages like mhchem require certain fonts to assure that you will get a proper and correct output. (hp-statement is part of mhchem and for chemical stuff you need special characters that are not availably in every system font)

regards Uwe