Guillaume Munch wrote:

> Is there a criteria to detect "bad" svg converters (at least some of
> them)? In the other message you wrote about "explicit svg->png
> converter". What does explicit mean?

explicit means "no default", e.g. either a manually defined one, or one
found by confugure.py. My reasoning would be that the ones in configure.py
work well, and if a user defines a converter manually we can safely assume
that it will be better than lib/scripts/convertDefault.py.

> I experienced it with about 20 svg images and it went as you describe:
> computation in the background, delays the first time the previews are
> displayed. I can imagine how it would be annoying with many more images
> and no converter cache. Are there reasons to turn off the cache?

privacy concerns maybe: If you temporarily edit a doc with images (from a
USB stick) it will leave traces if the cache is enabled. I vaguely remember
a report where a user did not like the cache at all, but I don't remember
the reasons unfortunately.

> If the issues are the delays and the scrolling impedance, then here's a
> workaround (not for 2.2.0 obviously): display the qt version until the
> preview is ready.

Or supressing the qt builtin svg only if the converter cache is enabled.

Georg