On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 09:48:28PM +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Samstag, 4. Juni 2016 um 15:36:37, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
> <skost...@lyx.org>
> > >
> > > To start with: If you make tarball with autotools and cmake is there
> > > difference between those two, do we get the same files/and their contets?
> >
> > Good question. I don't know. There is no 'lyxdist' target for CMake and
> > no 'dist' target so I stopped there.
>
>       # make package_source
>       --> LyX-2.3.tar.xz
> or
>       # make git_archive
>       --> LyX-2.3.0-47674git-Linux.tgz

Thanks. There are many differences compared to the .tar from autotools.
I can list the difference if you want, but since there are so many it
might be easier for you to take a look yourself.

You can make the tar with autotools as follows:
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make lyxdist

I did the comparison with a git checkout of 2.2.0, partly because make
lyxdist does not work for me now (I'll send a separate email about
this).

Note also that for me make package_source produces a tar.gz, not a
tar.xz as you suggested above. I don't think this difference is
important but I mention it in case it signals a fundamental difference
between our systems that explains why I get such a different tar from
the autotools tar.

Scott