On 2017-09-21, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 21.09.2017 um 09:50 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org>:

> ... the mentioned fallback means LyX is able to show the document with
> SVG on screen using internal Qt when converters are missing and using
> the first detected converter otherwise. The hope is that the external
> converter does a better job than Qt.

> Without any converter you are unable to preview the document in PDF and
> print it.

You can still print via HTML (of course the quality may be a problem).

Under Linux, TeXLive, previewers, and ImageMagick are expected to be
present for normal operation. They are installed by default together with
LyX but no strict requirements:

 Recommends: texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-latex-extra,
 texlive-science, texlive-generic-recommended, texlive-generic-extra,
 texlive-fonts-recommended, preview-latex-style, dvipng, imagemagick,
 psutils, ghostscript, poppler-utils, fonts-lyx, evince-gtk | pdf-viewer,
 elyxer | tex4ht | hevea | tth | latex2html

So, yes, in case requiring ImageMagick is a problem on the Mac, we need a
different fallback converter.

Günter