Am Freitag, den 28.09.2018, 16:13 +0200 schrieb Daniel:
> Hi,
>
> I just checked the new installer. The crashing on closing the PDF
> reader
> seems fixed. However,
>
> 1) if one installs it over the existing version, it will create a
> second
> LyX version rather than replace the current one. There will be a
> LyX.exe
> as well as a LyX2.3.exe.

I think this is a consequence of the fix for
https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/11313

The addition of the version suffix was not intended and caused several
problems.

> 2) the new version will not use the earlier version's user directory
> "LyX2.3" but rather just LyX.

That's immediately connected to the above. However, there is a method
in configure.py (checkUpgrade()) that is used by the Mac to copy
contents from previous user dirs (LyX on Mac uses the version
suffixes).

A similar method could be used to copy the contents of LyX2.3 to LyX.

> I am pretty sure that 2) is a bug. Maybe there is a reason for 1)
> but
> then the installer should tell the user to uninstall the old version
> first not only under the conditions mentioned in the initial dialog
> (see
> attached screen capture).

I agree. Or it should simply remove the prefixed binaries (maybe after
a warning).

Jürgen