On 2020-03-06 19:53, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
There is something I have always wondered here, but never really understood. Why do WE end to install ImageMagick? Why can't we just have the user install it, like we do on other platforms, and then detect it via the registry, if that's what we need to do? If we were going to use configure.py for fix broken dependencies then we can just use it to detect them in the first place, no? There is the issue that any installed ImageMagick will be bigger than what we ship. But the huge benefit is that, if there's a security issue with ImageMagick (as there sometimes is), we don't have to issue a new LyX installer to fix it.

I'd ask the same questions about Ghostscript and Python.

Riki

I guess the difference is that there is no package manager on Windows (and on macOS?). And installing ImageMagick youself seems a bit daunting:

https://imagemagick.org/script/download.php#windows

Daniel