Am Dienstag, dem 26.01.2021 um 13:59 -0500 schrieb Richard Kimberly
Heck:
> But footnotes are so common, at least in academic writing, that I'd
> be reluctant to move them another keystroke away.

I agree.

Also I think marginal notes are too different sorts of notes than the
ones in the Notes submenu. Footnotes and marginal notes are part of the
document structure, the other notes are more editorial devices (the
rather esoteric "gray text", whose purpose I never fully grasped, note
might be a hybrid).

Here again, the English word form (which does not easily translate to
other languages) might be misleading. The (co-)incidence that all these
are termed "notes" in English does not mean they have much in common.

Jürgen