On Friday 27 July 2001 14:05, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:25:57AM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>
> > You could maybe ask the AikSaurus author to include his small command
> > line program in the distribution. This is after all the way unix
> > programs work.
>
> You seem to be suggesting UNIX doesn't use shared libraries !
>
> > What if someone wants to include thesaurus support in
> > emacs? Does one have to make a special version of emacs?
>
> I don't hack on emacs !
>
> Really, external requirements for external projects are of no interest.
> I have no plans to replace simple short interfacing code with process
spawning
> /reading code unless there are good reasons for it. As people have pointed
out,
> it buys little in terms of build requirements - AikSaurus must still be
built,
> so it doesn't really make much difference if its done before compiling lyx
or
> after
>
> john

Well, sort of. Wasn't there a huge discussion in KDE about the merits of
using shared libraries for everything when they went with KParts instead of
Corba? Basically, it boiled down to "if the external shared library SIGSEGVs,
then my program bombs out". Using an external program, this isn't true.

Of course, anybody out there with superior understanding of these problems
could correct me...

Angus