On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:24:10PM +0200, Dekel Tsur wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 04:50:05AM -0500, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
> > >
> > > How about supplying a statically linked binary ?
> >
> > IMO it beats the purpose of RPM. One can run
> >
> >     rpm --rebuild lyx-1.1.6fix4-1.src.rpm
> >
> > if binary is not all right for their platform.
>
> What I meant is putting a statically linked binary in a .tar.gz.
> It has the advantage of working in ANY linux distribution.

I see your point. People who want to use it could do that. Probably
quite fine for home use.

Statically linked binaries have many disadvantages for big networked
installations though. For example, a recent bug/security bunch of fixes
for glibc in RH7.2/7.1 would have no benefit on a statically linked
binary (not to mention a security vulnerability lurking somewhere in
it). I'd rather recompile.

--
Zvezdan Petkovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/