On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 10:20:27AM +0900, Rob Lahaye wrote:

> >OK, this is a "final" solution, taking in Rob's redesign, and everyone's
> >comments (I hope).
> >
> >Global prefs :
> >
> > o Display graphics
> >
> >              ------------
> > Display mode: | Color    |
> >               ------------
> >
> >disabling the checkbox does NOT disable the combobox
> >
> >graphics dialog :
> >
> > o Display in LyX
>
> This is two check buttons and one choice list (three input fields).
> The present setup requires only two input fields, a choice lists in both,
> Global prefs and Grahics dialog :
>
>                  ------------
>    Display mode: |          |
>                  ------------
>
> with the choice of "Default | Do not display | Monochrome | Greyscale |
> Color"
> (with the "Default" only in the grahics dialog!)
>
> I would then go for the lowest nr. of input fields, which is the present
> setup (well: xforms needs to replace the row of check buttons by a single
> choice list in both, prefs and graphics dialog).

Usability is not a linear function of the number of widgets. My
suggestions are IMHO better for the following reasons :

1) the global don't display is far more discoverable and understandable

2) a combo box that only ever has two entries is logically a checkbox in
most circumstances and definitely in this one (the per-graphics don't
display)

3) it does not conflate two unrelated concepts (the fidelity of graphics
reproduction, and whether to display it at all)

regards
john