Andre> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 01:59:35PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
Andre> wrote:
>> For example, the use of layouts (a flat thing) and depth to nest
>> environments is great.

Andre> No, it is not....

It is very convenient to use 99% of the times. It just works.

>> Of course, as it is now, it causes problems (like two consecutive
>> theorems),

Andre> ... because of that. Moreover, it allows only changes on a
Andre> paragraph level: No more, no less. Not all things are one
Andre> paragraph.

What do you mean?

>> but this is something that can be solved with enough thought.

Andre> The only "solution" that can be implemented using the current
Andre> approach is having four layouts

Andre>    "Single-paragraph theorem" "Multi-paragraph theorem, first
Andre> par" "Multi-paragraph theorem, middle par" "Multi-paragraph
Andre> theorem, last par"

Andre> And that's certainly Not Nice(tm).

Andre> Do you know any other?

For example have a checkbox in the layout>paragraph menu that says:
'break environment after paragraph' (or whatever). This would go
together with the linbreak, space and line options. Then
break-paragraph would set it and break-paragraph-keep-layout would
leve it unset.

I'm not sure this would work, but something like that is possible.

Andre> [This is btw the typical situation with the "conventional
Andre> approach": You get almost everything working, with a quite bit
Andre> of effort a few cases more hacked in somehow, but the remaining
Andre> things are technically impossible]

Whereas with the structured approach, you get almost everything
annoying to do, with quite a bit of effort the complexity is hidden
somehow, but the latex experts will be able to do their favourite
tricks.

>> The ``theoretical'' approach of "let everything be an inset that
>> can be inserted anywhere" just sucks when you actually want to
>> write a document.

Andre> Why? Have you tried it?

When one will have created enumerate insets or theorem insets and that
it will not be possible to switch from theorem to lemma without
creating a new inset and cut-and-pasting the old one, I will complain
and you will say: "I don't care. Fix that as you want". For me the
capability to mutate an object is important and I really fear that the
inset-everywhere approach will kill that.

Andre> We are more or less implementing it in small steps now anyway
Andre> to solve "issues". ERT has gone inset, and this was Good.
Andre> Minipage support has emerged - as insets. Tables are using
Andre> "insets" nowadays etc.

I'm not against insets in general. Of course minipage, footnote and
tables should be insets. That's why insets exist. When I see your
proposal for user-defined environments, for example, I am not sure
anymore that we will not have to pay for that in terms of usability.

Andre> -- I wonder why we are discussing these things right now
Andre> anyway. I was not suggesting moving outer world font changes to
Andre> insets recently and the math font stuff is in since 1.3cvs was
Andre> opened.

Because when we try to discuss them afterwards, all we get is ``I
don't care''.