Lars> | It is very convenient to use 99% of the times. It just works.

Lars> and it makes the core a lot more complicated than it needs to
Lars> be. removing the depth variable and to proper paragraph nesting
Lars> is one of my goals when cleaning up.

Forget about the code. Think usability. Be prepared to explain in
details how it will work before doing it, instead of saying: we'll fix
it later.

Adding proper paragraph nesting for those who swear by it is trivial.
Just create a InsetContainer (1 hour work) that does nothing more than
contain an InsetText and output its contents in latex. It could be
collapsible if you are into that. People who are anal about whether
\textbf\emph is better than \emph\textbf can even use it to force
proper nesting. It can solve the theorem problem, allow to have a list
which is part of a paragraph [*] and even wash the dishes at the end
of the day.

JMarc

[*] that is
     blablable