On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 08:51:56AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > I've been using LyX for six years now, and I find
> >
> >   - Layout -> Document
> >   - Layout -> Paragraph
> >   - Layout -> Character
> >
> > very logical now.
>
> Interestingly, over my many years of using LyX, I've watched other word
> processing programs consolidate their formatting functions under a
>
>       "Format ->"
>
> menu item.  The rest of the universe has been moving toward LyX's way of doing

Some content from Larry ! :)

Yes, the Format menu has become pretty widely used. My earliest designs
involved such a change in name (the functionality of the menus really
are fairly similar).

In the end, though, I found we could avoid the extra top-level menu
altogether, because there were moroe logical/useful places for all
the items.

> things, not distributing the functionality across the interface.

Any permutation is a distribution of some kind. This change in
particular reflects the general move to an object-verb interface instead
of a verb-object interface. Menus in general tend towards object-verb
order.

Similarly, frequency rate of functions are better grouped now. As by
functionality: the "selection parameters" dialogs are grouped at the
bottom of the Edit menu, in the context-sensitive area.

regards
john