Andre> Relying on extensions to determine the file type is not very
Andre> robust. I could e.g. imagine that the mapping extension ->
Andre> application is not 1:1.

We have some code to guess type by contents already.

Andre> However, from an UI point of view it might even make sense ("Do
Andre> something sensible"). But I am not sure I like it more than an
Andre> extra level of menu items....

What we could do is have

- a text field for the file name, with a browse button

- a combox (less clutter that a list like we have now) with the list
  of types (== templates), which is set initially to 'auto' (or
  'default'). The user can choose to override the template guessed by
  the dialog.