>> What we could do is have
>>
>> - a text field for the file name, with a browse button
>>
>> - a combox (less clutter that a list like we have now) with the
>> list of types (== templates), which is set initially to 'auto' (or
>> 'default'). The user can choose to override the template guessed by
>> the dialog.

Angus> I think that we're getting ahead of ourselves. This is the
Angus> UI-equivalent of syntatic sugar. Worse, we're sweetening an
Angus> interface that isn't used yet by the vast majority of our
Angus> users.

What I mean is that, with such an interface, I would agree with the
merging of insetexternal and insetgraphics.

Angus> Let me finish the all singing, all dancing inset I have been
Angus> promising you and then we can discuss this.

Sure.