On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:43:16AM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Andre Poenitz wrote:
>
> >>I can't even unapply a change of some text to bold in mathed without
> >>running round the houses.
> >

> >What's wrong with <Pos1> <Backspace>?
> >

> People don't think of text as formulas.  In the text, I expect
> backspace to erase the character (or other object) to the left of the
> cursor.

And what do you expect if the cursor is at the beginning of some chunk
of text in a box?

'Nothing' is certainly a valid option, but 'remove the thing before',
i.e. the box itself, is another sensible choice. Don't you think so?

> Now we're getting an exception if there happens to be a style change
> where the cursor is. This will surprise users, some of which don't use
> math so they haven't seen it there either.  There'll be complaints
> like: "I was removing some text (holding down backspace) and suddenly
> the formatting (emphasis/bold/font) screwed up?"

When you reach the beginning of the format change, the format change
will be removed. Yes. Well, you get what you ordered.

Same argument as John's when he opposed equivalent changes in mathed.
Nobody, not a single person! complained about this since 1.3.0 is out.
I am really tempted to call this argument 'FUD'.

Btw note that this 'magic key to remove formatting' does not have to be
backspace. Could be any key you want. Heck, you could even deactivate it
if having that feature makes you sick. It just happens to work like
that in mathed for six years or so...

> Also, inability to select half of the emphasized text plus some text
> outside the emphasis will be a problem.  You are probably right that
> people rarely apply styles this way, but I often enough mark text this
> way in order to _remove_ it.  It'll be interesting to see if that
> becomes a problem with the box-oriented approach.

As I said, 'non balanced selection' is implementable, but I don't
see a point in implementing it before a real user actually complains.

> I tried compiling lyx in order to test this, unfortunately the
> resulting binary won't let me write anything with the keyboard, only
> move around & paste.

Huh?

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)