Andre Poenitz wrote:

I can't even unapply a change of some text to bold in mathed without
running round the houses.

What's wrong with <Pos1> <Backspace>?

People don't think of text as formulas. In the text, I expect backspace to erase the character (or other object) to the left of the cursor. It has always been like that, in lyx, other editors, and other places were text are edited, such as bash prompt, form fields, and so on.

Now we're getting an exception if there happens to be a style change
where the cursor is. This will surprise users, some of which don't
use math so they haven't seen it there either.  There'll be
complaints like: "I was removing some text (holding down backspace)
and suddenly the formatting (emphasis/bold/font) screwed up?"

Also, inability to select half of the emphasized text plus some
text outside the emphasis will be a problem.  You are probably
right that people rarely apply styles this way, but I often enough
mark text this way in order to _remove_ it.  It'll be interesting
to see if that becomes a problem with the box-oriented approach.

I tried compiling lyx in order to test this, unfortunately
the resulting binary won't let me write anything with the
keyboard, only move around & paste.

Helge Hafting