Christian Ridderström wrote:
>> I have been thinking for a while of an lfun2lfun script. As an
>> example:
>>
>> citation-insert -> dialog-show-new-inset citation
>
> What would this lfun2lfun-script operate on? (Or do you mean that it
> would act like a filter on commands typed in the mini-buffer, see
> what I wrote in the end?)

Yes it would act as a filter, both on commands typed in the
minibuffer and on commands input from the lyxserver.

>> The point I'd like to make is that this lfun syntax is powerful but
>> cumbersome. I can imagine an lfun2lfun script that generated such
>> commands from simpler input by the user.
>>
>> That way, LyX will have to handle fewer lfuns and the user will
>> still have his syntactic sugar.
>
> This might be what you already suggest, but how about allowing
> 'lfun-macros' (i.e. translations) to be defined in an external text
> file. It could look like this:
>
> lfun-define  "citation-insert" "dialog-show-new-inset citation"

That's exactly what I envisage.

> which would mean that when the mini-buffer receives
> 'citation-insert',

The minibuffer receives nothing. It simply posts the input back to
the core. This input string could be passed through lfun2lfun to
generate a 'real' lfun tht the core will understand.

it will look through the text file (or a loaded
> database) for translations and apply them. In addition, if the user
> can edit this text file, he will be able to create new lfuns as
> well.

Genau.

--
Angus