The math mode seems to work again (no superscript crash) --- I have
not tested extensively.

I noticed the following:

1) selection does not seem to be giving visual feedback (i.e. I can position
   the cursor and then do SHIFT-down-arrow and BACKSPACE to delete some
   text, but the selection is not highlighted).

2) Clicking on some insets still seems to crash. I have a small example file
   attached. Click on the footnote. LyX crashes.

here is the output on the console:

Redraw screen
*** workAreaDispatch: request:  action: 216 arg: '' x: 439 y: 177
checkInsetHit: x: 439 y: 177
examining inset 0x100b0ed0 xo: 0...8 yo: -12...3
examining inset 0x100aea00 xo: 0...6 yo: -12...3
examining inset 0x100b09d0 xo: 425...453 yo: 167...187
Hit inset: 0x100b09d0
LCursor::push()  inset: 0x100b09d0
InsetText::edit xy

lyx: SIGSEGV signal caught
Sorry, you have found a bug in LyX. Please read the bug-reporting instructions in
Help->Introduction and send us a bug report, if necessary. Thanks !
Bye.
Aborted (core dumped)

--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)
http://sylvan.com/~kayvan | "crown of her husband" | Robin Gregory (2/28/92)
#LyX 1.4.0cvs created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 229
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
%
% Set these up.
%
\newcommand{\papertitle}{Qualities of Great Leaders}
\newcommand{\paperauthor}{Kayvan Sylvan}
\newcommand{\paperauthoremail}{\href{mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]@synopsys.com}}
\newcommand{\paperdate}{2/1/2004}
\newcommand{\papercoursename}{Motivating IT Professionals}
\newcommand{\papercoursenumber}{TS4032}
%
\usepackage[pdftex,pdftitle={\papertitle},urlcolor=blue,citecolor=blue,linktocpage,letterpaper,colorlinks=true]{hyperref}
%
% fancy page settings
%
\lhead{\emph{\paperauthor} --- \paperdate --- \papercoursenumber}
\chead{}
\rhead{\papertitle}
\renewcommand\headrulewidth{0pt}
%
% extra packages
%
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{url}
\end_preamble
\language english
\inputencoding auto
\fontscheme pslatex
\graphics default
\paperfontsize 12
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 1
\use_natbib 1
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\branch titlepage
\selected 1
\color none
\end_branch
\leftmargin 1in
\topmargin 1in
\rightmargin 1in
\bottommargin 1in
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle fancy
\tracking_changes 0
\end_header

\begin_layout Standard

\end_layout

\begin_layout Section

The Real Shift: Selflessness
\end_layout

\begin_layout Quote

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has
 found liberation from the self.
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

 --- Albert Einstein
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard

Before any lasting change can occur in beliefs and attitudes, the aspiring
 leader must attain a degree of self understanding that elevates him or
 her above their baser human desires.
 More simply stated: people do not follow a man who is working primarily
 for his own self interest
\begin_inset Foot
status collapsed

\begin_layout Standard

This may in fact explain the observation that most people pay little attention
 to the pronouncements of our elected politicians.
 They know instinctively that these men and women are working for their
 own self aggrandizement instead of the lofty ideals of public service that
 they espouse.
\end_layout

\end_inset

.
 All great leaders, whether in the realm of politics or business, are driven
 by a passion and a vision greater than themselves.
 They dream great dreams and subsume their whole self in the mission of
 accomplishing their purpose.
 Their selfless dedication is what inspires followers.
 When the focus of an individual's identity shifts from
\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

the world
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

, it becomes far easier to embody the attitudes and beliefs of transformational
 leadership.
\end_layout

\begin_layout Standard

\end_layout