FYI, Bennett has volunteered to help the OSX port  of LyX, now that
Ronald has run out of time. I asked him to post about this problem
here, since I suspect that some of you may have idea about what is
going on. Especially interesting is the fact that once you have given
focus to a dialog, it will not have further problems.

Angus, John, does that ring a bell?

Bennett> I'm using lyx-1.3.4 on MacOSX, which I believe is compiled
Bennett> with Qt-3.1.2. There's an annoying bug in the way some
Bennett> dialogs fail to take focus sometimes but not always. Here's
Bennett> my best attempt and describing what consistency there seems
Bennett> to be in these failures.

It would be nice to find that later qt releases fix the problem...

Bennett> It mainly happens after I do a mouse click in the main
Bennett> document window. If I then bring up a dialog box
Bennett> (Find/Replace, Layout> Document..., etc.) it typically does
Bennett> not have focus. After I've clicked on that dialog box, I can
Bennett> dismiss it and call the very same one up again having it take
Bennett> focus appropriately (so long as I haven't clicked anywhere on
Bennett> the main document window in the meantime). Other dialog boxes
Bennett> I call up still fail to take focus until I click on them, and
Bennett> in that case *that* dialog box will be able to take focus,
Bennett> but others won't. (Of course, after any click in the main
Bennett> document window, none of these will take focus.)

So you mean that only one window at a time will be able to take focus,
right?

Bennett> There are some exceptions to this. The File>Open... dialog
Bennett> seems consistently able to grab focus no matter what else
Bennett> happens, and I think File>New From Template... does as well.
Bennett> (But others from the File menu, such as Print... don't.)

So what's so special about our file dialogs?

Bennett> Any suggestions for how to fix this? (I'm happy to be a
Bennett> guinea pig.)

Since you mention it, could you try latest cvs? I think the commit I
just did will allow to have proper bindings (like <command>-O for
File>Open...) shown in menus in LyX/Mac. Does it work? (and also with
emacs binding?)