On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 04:28:02PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> FYI, Bennett has volunteered to help the OSX port  of LyX, now that
> Ronald has run out of time. I asked him to post about this problem
> here, since I suspect that some of you may have idea about what is
> going on. Especially interesting is the fact that once you have given
> focus to a dialog, it will not have further problems.
>
> Angus, John, does that ring a bell?

The only thing in this area that's tinkling is the constructor for each
dialog. Qt behaves differently depending on whether you pass NULL for
the dialog widget parent, or something else.

cgrepall DialogBase\( | grep ': ' | grep -v ui
shows that we're using NULL for all the dialogs, whereas the file dialog
is doing

     51         : QFileDialog(toqstr(p), toqstr(filters.str(true)),
     52                       qApp->focusWidget() ? qApp->focusWidget()
: qApp->mainWidget(), toqstr(t), true),

It might be useful to try that trick with focusWidget() and see what
happens

> Bennett> seems consistently able to grab focus no matter what else
> Bennett> happens, and I think File>New From Template... does as well.
> Bennett> (But others from the File menu, such as Print... don't.)
>
> So what's so special about our file dialogs?

I suspect it's the above :)

regards
john