Saturday, October 8, 2005, 11:54:50 AM, Angus wrote:

AL> Bo Peng wrote:
>> So, at least there is no license issue that prevents us from bundling
>> everything into a single lyx distribution.

AL> I download all these things once, when I first install LyX. Why would I
AL> want to download them again when I upgrade LyX? I'm likely to tweak MikTeX
AL> and the Aspell dictionaries as I use them; overwriting them will be a
AL> *really* bad idea.

AL> If you're willing to make a 'smart' installer that will go and download
AL> stuff, that's fine, but I'd object strongly to a single monolithic
AL> installer that took for ever to download because it contains 250MB
AL> (MikTeX) of stuff I don't want.

AL> In case you hadn't noticed, I think that this is just a bad idea and a
AL> waste of time.

Hi,
I'm only a small user of LyX. I follow the discussions of this
mailinglist because I'm very interested in the development status of
LyX.
I think the idea to make a bundle LyX installer is very interesting
for people who start working with LyX. I know many people who will
never try out LyX because installing it is very difficult for them.
IMHO a bundled version of LyX would make it more easier and popular.
For people who know enough about computers and software a bundle
version isn't necessary.
Maybe it's possible and enough to make from every final a bundle
version...

--
Joachim