Angus Leeming wrote:

Let's be clear: it's a kludge to get decent compile times using the MinGW
compiler. Let's also be clear: compile times are better for you, but not
significantly better for me.

Uniting the scripts is a different issue. I'm sure that it's not beyond the
wit of man to modify development/Win32/packaging/build_lyxwin.sh so that
there are both static and dynamic routes. Usage:
Angus, I don't think we have to support both static and dynamic linking. Maintaing one solution is enough. Let's keep it simple.

My problem is that dynamic linking doesn't real work on my machine (at least it didn't when I tried last time; I will check eventually whether things have improved recently). If you are able to provide us with a 1.4.X installer with a shared qtwin lib, I won't complain :-)

BTW: What will happen if you install a 1.4 package on a machine that already has 1.3 installed? Will your installer remove the old version or can both versions live on the same machine (beside the fact that LyX files are associated to one of the two versions). Does the deinstallation routine cope with two versions?

Michael