João Luis Meloni Assirati <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I imagine that the same thing would happen when I clicked in the xdvi
> > window, precipitating a change of view in LyX. In either case, if I change
> > the width of the LyX window, the LyX view and the .dvi view are no longer
> > going to be in sync.

> Oh, this will not happen because xdvi talks latex rows and lyx talks
> paragraph
> ids / positions. TexRow::getIdFromRow will translate correctly, no matter the
> current geometry of the lyx window.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Some more questions, just to get my head around things:

* xdvi is able to communicate with LyX through the lyxclient socket interface,
right? But LyX isn't able to talk to xdvi through this interface yet. Correct?

* if LyX were able to talk to xdvi through the lyxclient interface, then we
wouldn't have to keep creating a new xdvi process in "client" mode each time I
click in the LyX window which is what happens now. Instead we could just pass a
message through the socket. Correct?

* Imagine that LyX can now communicate with xdvi through this socket interface.
Is your explanation about LyX's row IDs still valid? I'm guessing yes, but I've
guessed wrong before :)

> > If I am right then I think that you should move the IDs out of BufferView
> > and into Buffer.
>
> Please reconsider your opinion. It is very important for me to work within
> BufferView so I have access to texrow_ref.

I have no opinion to reconsider. I think that this is a great piece of work and
think it should have gone into the LyX sources a long, long time ago.

> Thank you, Angus. How is William doing?

Very well :) http://www.lyx.org/~leeming/William/

Angus