Jean-Marc Lasgouttes a écrit :
"Bo" == Bo Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I tested Bo's patch and can tell that in this case they see a
dialog informing them that a default viewer for postscript is not
available. So they know that they have to do something...

Bo> Many thanks!. Finally someone seems to understand my viewer/core
Bo> separation idea. Viewers are not essential part of lyx, and should
Bo> be removed from the bundle.

I do understand your idea. It does not mean I agree with it. Maybe
people do not want/need a postscript viewer (pdflatex/acroread is OK,
isn't it?).
Let's take another example: you use word and see an option 'Save as
OpenDocument'. You select it, and windows tells you "ha, I do not have
this one, but if you tell me where the translator is maybe I will be
able to set it up". Name the word processors which do that!
Also, in windows explorer, can you do "File>New>Openoffice document"
when OpenOffice is not installed? Nope.

It seems to me good practice to show the capabilities that your
installation actually has. I do not see what examples you have in
windows of features that are not available but the user can not guess
this before trying (and cannot get rid of menu entries even though
they are just noise).

OK but the problem with your hidding menu philosophy is that the user will never know that he could use dvi or ps at the first place. As a user I'd rather be educated that, under Windows, View DVI is the best option to check quickly the final output. I guess that a Mac user should be educated that View PDF is the best option for him.

Abdel.