I am sure that you will get more positive feedback if you follow this
procedure.

I really was interested in pushing some of my patches in, because I
think they are important, if not essential, and other people can
benefit from them. However, I feel less and less motivated in doing
so. I am using 1.5.svn, why do I have to care about others?

I am still wondering why people do not like my local-layout-cls
patch(es). Forcing users to put .layout and .cls in their respective
places, using that lengthy and troublesome procedure, is *not* nice.
Even latex allows local .cls file!

 Obviously nobody has enough time, therefore everybody does what
he cares about most.

Sure. My win/auto-view is the result of a really troublesome windows
installation, local-layout is the result of trying to set up a thesis
writing environment for others....

Bo