Michael Gerz wrote:
- 3 (!) build systems (auto*, scons, cmake; the latter at least under discussion)

Please don't put oil on the fire (do we say that in English?). Peter work on CMake has already already helped Bo in his Scons-msvc adventure; so it was worth it for that alone. Besides, we should welcome Peter in the team instead of saying that his work is not needed. So Peter, I'd like to invite you to help us finishing the Qt4 port :-)

Are we still working on a text processor? Or has LyX turned into a WeCanDoEverythingButTextProcessing project?

coffee would be nice also :-)

IMHO, we should remove xforms because nobody needs/uses it nowadays. Since qt4 will satisfy the needs of the Mac and Windows users,

I'd like it to satisfy the needs of Linux users also...

qt3 may turn into the kde-enriched frontend. If there are users without KDE, they can use the gtk frontend (at least in principle).

Regarding the build system, I have to thank Abdel and Bo for their scons work. If you never tested it by yourself, you cannot imagine how greatly it simplifies compilation on Windows. THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

Just for the record most of the credits for Scons should go to Bo (Enrico and Lars helped also). But thanks for the THANKS anyway ;-)

I think we should also decide on the objectives of LyX 1.5. IMHO, LyX 1.5 should feature qt4 and scons support (what an improvement for the Windows platform!) and improved change tracking. (Not to forget Bo's session management and Martin's outlining :-)) These feature alone, plus overall improved performance and stability, will certainly justify a new major release. It will also tell the users that we managed to overcome the problem and shortcomings of the 1.4.X releases. Personally, I would like to postpone unicode support until 1.6 because this will delay 1.5 for at least a few months.

Opinions?

It is not Friday so I'll keep my mouth shut ;-)

Abdel.