Hi,

I think it is a very good idea to write this FAQ, and to put it in the wiki.

So I would like to make some comments:

1) Not always LANG variable works. Sometimes is necessary to use another
variable. For example with Mandriva 2006 with KDE you need to use KDE_LANG,
and with Mandriva 2007, and KDE, it is necessary to use LC_ALL. Ex:
  a) KDE_LANG=xx_CC lyx
  b) LC_ALL=xx_CC lyx

2) In order to test the translation it is necessary to test if the language
use to make the translation is accepted by lyx. I.e. if the language is in
the text file "languages".

3) If the language used to make the translation is in the text
file "languages", it is not necessary to compile lyx. In this case is enough
to compile the po file, with the command "msgfmt" that is part of the gettext
packet.
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_mono/gettext.html
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gettext.htm

Bye