On Sun, 2012-12-09 at 12:55 +0000, Brian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying the LyX (2.0.5) tutorial and have the same problem
>  with the
> "reference on page" functionality not working.
>  It acts exactly the same as
> "reference" alone and does not add page info.
>  The "page" option alone works fine.
>
> I am on Windows Vista and have tried the "Tools->Reconfigure" option
>  both running
> the programme default and running it as administrator and restarting
> afterwards
> in each case.
>  However it is still not fixed.
>
> Any other suggestions for things to try?
>  I am enjoying LyX and the tutorial so
> far and looking into it as an option for my PhD thesis.
>  (There doesn't appear to
> be a thesis template or document class in my installation; I'm assuming the
> book
> class is the way to go?)
I cannot reproduce the problem in the Linux version of LyX; I've tried
it with LyX documents I created long before LyX 2 appeared but they all
export to PDF correctly. So I cannot explain how to resolve the problem.

I would recommend - as you may have picked up in the Help - the
KOMAScript book document class for a thesis. You need to add the TeX
commands \frontmatter right at the start of the document before the
Subject or Title and then \mainmatter before the first numbered chapter.
Using Document>Start appendix here will produced lettered appendices
after the main matter. If you need sections after the appendices, use
the TeX command\backmatter which, as with the front matter, will remove
numbering in the output (but not in LyX).

If you need multiple lists of references/bibliographies plan the layout
so that each can fall within a separate bibtopic unit - none of which
can be nested.

If you need any other tweaks, the KOMA Script documentation offers a lot
of formatting options.

John