Paul> The problem with the above is the extreme pain involved with
Paul> _USING_ it, not defining it.  The use of it is what you do over
Paul> and over.

Paul> As I understand it, for every single filename in my document
Paul> (which could well be in the hundreds or more) that I wanted to
Paul> apply this to, I first have to type M-c t to enter TeX mode,
Paul> then \filename, then M-c t to exit TeX mode, then {, the
Paul> filename, and }.

This is indeed a pain, I agree.

Paul> Can I bind a key to do all this?  I'll have to go look that up
Paul> in more detail.

I do not think this is possible yet.

Paul> Certainly I agree; I've been using Emacs, etc. too long not to
Paul> appreciate the power of a full scripting language you can escape
Paul> to.  But what you need is the ability to customize the user
Paul> interface, too, to get those applications easy to use.

... and unfortunately, LyX does not have a full scripting language
yet.

JMarc