%% "Larry S. Marso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  lsm> This is already supported.  But it's relatively low level
  lsm> functionality.  You'll have to define a paragraph style.  For
  lsm> simplicity you could define one of the existing styles, e.g.,
  lsm> quotation, to have whatever characteristics you want.

But I don't want a whole paragraph in that style, that's the thing.  I
want just a section in the middle of the sentence.  Or are you
suggesting using nested environments?  I haven't played with that much.
Can you nest environments within a single paragraph?

For example:

  If you run make in the foo/bar/obj directory, you'll see that...

Now, I want filenames like "foo/bar/obj" to appear in a fixed-width font
like courier.  But I also want them all to use the same character
"style", say "filename", so I can change them all at once later (maybe I
decide I like helvetica better, or a smaller size, or something).

I guess what I'm really looking for is the ability to define new
character styles, like the pre-existing "noun", "emph" and "bold".

AFAICT, I can't do this... or can I?  I couldn't find anything in the
docs about it but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or in the right
places.

I'm happy to implement it "low-level", since I can just re-use it for
other docs and I need this kind of thing all the time.

PS. The problem I have with reading the docs is that I changed the
    screen_zoom to 100 and now my X server (Solaris 2.5.1/openwindows)
    just dies whenever I try to open a big document--it starts saying
    console.  No errors, no core, no nuthin'.  I haven't investigated
    properly yet.

    I'm a little gun-shy about opening those docs now :)