Hugh> Jean-Marc, you have been very kind to answer my ignorant
Hugh> questions.  I'm sure you have much to do.  It's ok with me if
Hugh> you just ignore this.

Don't worry. My `job' in LyX is partly to make sure that
configuration/installation works well...

[snip]
Hugh> So, I just took a deep breath and did rm -r -f
Hugh> /usr/local/lyx-1.0.Opre2 to get rid of all the files there.
Hugh> Then I ran lyx.  It ran fine.

That's how it should be. In fact, what people do in general is to
create a /usr/local/src file where they put sources. If you have
enough disk space, you do not have to remove
/usr/local/src/lyx-1.0.Opre2 after installation. You might want to do
a 'make clean' to remove the compilation products, anyway.

Hugh> From this, I conclude that after lyx is installed one may delete the
Hugh> directory tree into which the lyx distribution was unpacked.  If
Hugh> this is a terrible blunder, I will learn it soon enough!

No, you did it right. You just passed your first exam in compilation
of unix programs :)

We try to put understandable compilation instructions in the file
INSTALL. If you feel that some things there are not clear or explicit
enough, please propose a better version.

JMarc