Hi,
I got a wrong tex output. By mistake, I switched to noun text, with the
appropriate key-binding (standard cua file), that I never remember. Then I
deleted the noun text, but I got errors during the tex run. Running
checktex, I got a "unmatched {" error. I exported to tex and saw that
there was: \noun{\} that produced the error. The noun style stayed there
even if there was no text. I could move the cursor and see "font changed
to noun style" in the minibuffer on crossing that point.

I do not know if this can be reproduced easily, I just imagined you wanted
to know.
All the best,

 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 164055, Fax: +46 8 167715, Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se