    Paul> As noted in this list last week, RH7 is distributed with a bogus
    Paul> compiler, gcc-2.96. Lyx does not compile, there are all kinds of errors
    Paul> pointing back to the standard template library of c++. I've filed a bug
    Paul> report at RedHat, and expect they may fix it.

    Paul> If you are stuck with RH7, what do you do?

    Paul> 1. Wait for RedHat to issue new gcc?
    Paul> 2. Remove gcc-2.96 and retrofit gcc-2.95.2?
    Paul> 3. Get somebody to build a statically linked lyx?

    Paul> I'm leaning to option number 2, but don't know if it will harm my system
    Paul> in any way.  If others have overcome the problem, I'd like to know. I've
    Paul> searched pretty far and wide in the usenet for solutions.

How about something really useful?  Trace the compilation errors and
supply patches.

Chances are, the problem is not that there is something "wrong" with
gcc-2.96 - but more likely it is due to the greater standards
conformance.  In other words, you're most likely seeing bugs in lyx -
and patches would certainly be welcomed.