Am Fri, 05.Jan.2001 um 09:41:34 +0100 schrieb Joakim Svensson:
> 1. I am running debian unstable and will probably install
>    the LyX version that is in there (currently lyx 1.1.5fix2-1)
>    Or I can probably be talked into compiling myself if needed.

You can also download the lyx-1.1.6-pre3 rpm and convert it to a Debian
package via alien. Worked smoothly here.

> 4. I would like to be able to create ps,pdf and html output. How can I do
>    that in a consistent way.

Use LyX 1.1.6.

> 7. What else should I install and what can be done in the config files to
>    make my LyX as good as possible on a debian system.

That all depends on your taste. In LyX 1.1.6, you can configure almost
everything via dialogues within the program.

On Debian, I recommend to additionally install the following software (which
is not part of the distribution):

- tth, a LaTeX-to-HTML converter (non-free software, free only for private
use)

- FoilTeX if you create foils/slides.

> That was lots of questions. The basic idea is to install and configure a
> nice document writing program that will let me write mails, posters,
> documents etc and to be able to get the output in ps,pdf and maybe html
> format. And also I need hints on howto work with pictures inside LyX and
> howto make high quality annotations to them.

Generally, LaTeX and LyX are great tools for structured documents. They're
also pretty good for snail mail letters. But they are definitely less
suitable as visual layout software (if you speak of posters).

Florian

--
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/
http://www.complit.fu-berlin.de/institut/lehrpersonal/cramer.html